Writings from 3 sisters, who love to garden, do scrapbooking, fiber arts and sometimes have an opinion.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Can you smell that?

Apricot/pineapple jam...yum.....my grandaughter gave me apricots and I served many at our family reunion, but the rest went into the jam and it smells so wonderful and will taste very good this winter on some pancakes.   I can remember our Mom saying that her Mom put apricots, pineapple and walnuts into hers but I have never tried the nuts....afraid I might mess up a good thing.   I picked enough raspberries today to fill two cereal bowls and we had them for dinner and little else....seemed like a balanced diet to me.  When we were children we lived off the farm....our own milk, butter, meat, veggies, canned fruit etc. etc...our Mom even made her own cottage cheese.   I can still see her grocery list with sugar, flour, coffee and toilet tissue on it and little else.....but we wanted 'store bought' things.....I wanted some twinkies and maybe a ding dong or two.......looking back I realize we ate organic, healthy, gourmet food.....but we didn't know it.   Now it is trendy to grow your own food and make your own apricot jam...and eat organic, healthy, gourmet food....we are finally with the 'in' crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment